Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Miscommunication

The Princess has been very fascinated with school lately. Reminding me often that when she's 6 she'll go to school too! Yesterday we had this conversation.

Me: "Guess what! In a couple of weeks you and I are going to start doing something really exciting!"
Princess: "What?"
Me: "We are going to French school!"
Princess: "Are you going to come with me?"
Me: "Yes. We're going to go together. It'll be something special we do together on Saturday mornings."
Princess: "You're going to come into the school with me?"
Me (in a very reassuring voice. It's scary to think of going to somewhere new and strange all by yourself.): "Oh yes. I'll come with you. You won't have to go by yourself."
Princess: "But you're not supposed to come. You need to go somewhere else!"
Me (WHAT????): "You don't want me to come with you?"
Princess: "No. Mommies and Daddies are supposed to drop their children off at school and then go somewhere else."
Me: "Oh."  (pause while thinking hard) "well, this first class is for children and their parents but after that I'll leave you alone. Okay?"
Princess (somewhat mollified): "Okay.  Can I get a princess backpack?"

Um, where did this independence come from???!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment