Monday, June 6, 2011

Commence the Makeover

My summer project started! On the hottest day we've had so far this spring...Actually, it's only the second hot day we've had at all, it's been a cold and rainy spring (my kind of spring!!). But, of course, we chose a hot day with an east wind to stay inside painting all day.



A few things I learned:

  1. I don't really know what I'm doing. Honestly, I was slightly afraid to open the paint can... I was a little intimidated with the getting started. Do I use a brush or a roller? Which wall should I start on? Oh, I should have taped the trim! Let me run down to the basement for the 50th time to see if we have...drop cloths, small paint brushes, a rag, and plastic container, etc, etc, etc.  Luckily my mom was here to help and she had no qualms diving right in and directing me on where to start and what to do - thank goodness!
  2. I'm not a good painter. I don't mind painting at all. In fact, I kind of enjoy it. But I'm not very good at it. I have weak arms and my hands are much shakier than I realized. It's probably good that I didn't become a surgeon like I dreamed about... 
  3. I cry when I paint. Not really, but my eyes do water periodically so if you didn't know any better you'd think I was the saddest painter there ever was! Seriously, I had tears dripping off my chin at one point.
  4. There was a time when I thought that I might be stuck with a lavender room...Not really what I was going for. Luckily that second coat made all the difference.

With three of us working on it we're practically done with the painting already! It's thrilling! Especially because now that it's dry I love it!

On to the next steps.

More later.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! My mom has saved my hide on more than one painting occasion! Bless our moms. I love painting, actually, because there's something to show for it for awhile...unlike laundry, dishes, etc. My hands aren't the steadiest either however, no tears drip off my chin--that's hilarious! And the second coat does make all the difference usually. I HAVE made the mistake of a flourescent sea foam green room and it was Mom to the rescue helping me find the REAL color I'd intended. I want a pic of your finished product.

    ReplyDelete