Monday, July 15, 2013

Gluten Free

Those that follow me on facebook or have to interact with me over food will  know that we've had a major shift in our household in the past nine months. Due to some health issues with both The Princess and Sweetpea we made an experimental switch to gluten free eating.  The changes in both girls have been miraculous and, consequently, we haven't looked back.

While the changes have been great, the learning curve has been steep and my pantry now has a very different look. This is probably going to be the most boring post ever BUT I've been asked by many people what changes I've made so I figured a tour of my newly stocked pantry might be the easiest way to show those who are curious. (I straightened it up so you could see the important labels. Don't be fooled, it's usually way more haphazard!)
 

Rice cakes, TJ's corn pasta, Oatmeal, Annie's rice pasta mac & cheese, Almond Milk, Coconut milk and cream, Tru Roots pasta and rice blends, dried beans and lentils, and GF pretzels.
 

Coconut oil, TJ's rice penne, Aramanth, Quinoa, Coconut sugar, bread crumbs (these are actually GF corn flakes chopped in the food processor)
 

FLOURS!  Tapioca, Coconut, Buckwheat (yes, it has wheat in its name but it's actually a berry and GF), Almond, Brown Rice, White Rice, GF All Purpose (from Bob's Red Mill or TJ's)  These aren't all of the flours I plan to stock for various recipes, I try to add to my stash each time I go to the grocery store. (i.e. Sorghum)
 
Bob's Red Mill has been a wonderful resource for grains, while I'm lucky to live close enough to actually go straight to the source, I can also get much of it at the grocery store. Trader Joe's also carried a good stock of GF supplies. Bread, of course, is one of the big changes. I've worked hard at learning to bake my own because it's way less expensive but I also try to have a back-up loaf in the freezer. I really like Udi's brand.
 
Crackers, most chips and cereals are all pretty much out. We've found a few substitutes that we like. TJ's Cheese Crunchies, all of the varieties of Chex cereals (Cinnamon and Honey Nut especially!) and all-corn tortilla chips (some corn tortilla's are actually a blend of flour and corn meal). I've got plans to try making my own crackers but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
 
Check out my pinterest board if you're interested in actual recipes I've tried (or plan to try). I try to make notes on the ones I've tried.
 
**I am completely under the radar when it comes to companies and therefore am in no way compensated for any recommendations. These are just what we've discovered we like after much trial and error!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment