Monday, March 11, 2013

Paralyzed, but have a muffin

I have a doctor appointment this afternoon to find out why I have a pain at my right shoulder blade that alternates between knife like and burning. Good times. Its basically paralyzed me.

"How apt," I thought. "My body has taken its cue from my brain and now I'm paralyzed both inside and out."

But, I'm not sure that paralyzed is really the descriptor for the state of my mind. More like overwhelmed with the amount of things on my lists of want to and need to. The list is long and, though there are stresses and challenges, most of the things are actually quite enjoyable. I have a long overdue trip to plan that I'm looking forward to. I have a writing project almost finished and three others that are each trying to claim precedence for good reason. I have a quilt needing just a few hundred more stitches that might find a home on my bed. I have a daughter soaking up any new information I can give her and the list of spring and summer projects we could do before I have to relinquish my time with her to kindergarten is growing exponentially. It's a good problem to have, choosing between a bounty of blessings, but my brain is having trouble processing it all.

*****************

On a completely different note, I have made these muffins twice now. They are fabulous. I tried to eat them for breakfast the other day but the girls kept asking for bites. I plan to smuggle two out of the house in the morning so I can eat them in peace this time.

Originally from With Style & Grace, I made a few changes...maybe next time I'll add Chia seeds(!)

Paleo Banana Bread Muffins


  • 1 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 eggs (I had pre-beat a bunch of eggs 2 at a time and frozen them. Thawed, they worked beautifully in this recipe)
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil (I used coconut oil instead)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 chopped walnuts, plus more for topping (left out the walnuts for the girls. The almond flour makes these muffins "nutty" anyway.)

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place muffins cups in muffin tin and set aside.
In a large bowl, sift together almond flour, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt.
In a separate bowl, add the mashed bananas, eggs, honey, vanilla and oil – mix well.
Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until combined.
Fill the baking cups about 3/4 full. Sprinkle a few chopped walnuts over each cup. 
Bake muffins for 21-23 minutes.
The recipe doubles well.

No comments:

Post a Comment