Monday, July 29, 2013

Emotions into Words

I don't talk much about my writing. It seems presumptuous that anyone would have any real interest or connection with the stories floating around in my head. But I keep writing them because the characters keep talking to me, they keep working through life questions, and they're living out lives that don't look like anything close to mine, so that's fun.


Lines to pitch to an agent. 90 minutes of adrenaline.

I attended the Pacific Northwest Writers Association Literary Conference this weekend (which explains the #pnwa label I used on twitter all weekend in case you were wondering). It was super fun and ridiculously exhausting. Which, I think, is what happens to 95% of writers when they attend a writing conference. (That other 5% is the anomaly of the extroverted writer... I watch them from my semi-sheltered seat against the window.)


Yes, there's sun in Seattle. It's a secret, don't tell!

It's a relief to be with other people who have this innate drive to tell stories. I heard it said this way "We translate feelings." That's it. We're all gathered and talking about the feelings we immerse ourselves in and try to create each time we work on putting words to paper (screen).


Practice words, trying to figure out how to encapsulate a story.

Everything I write is an exercise in capturing a feeling. Those feelings are universal, regardless of age, sex, and life experiences. So, even if my particular packaging isn't up everyone's alley I keep reminding myself that the feeling is true, the emotion is relatable and important, the identification of those highs and lows is a good thing.


Caffeine or Chocolate...got to keep the energy up.

I was a finalist in the Romance category of PNWA Literary Contest this year. A complete shock. I didn't win but the weekend of positive encouragement from people doing the same thing as me day to day, year to year was another form of winning.


How fun to be in the company of the finalists and winners!

No comments:

Post a Comment