Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Perfect Blueberry Muffin

We're obsessed with fresh blueberries in this house. I'm obsessed with having muffins for breakfast. Can you see where this is going?

I've been on a quest to find the perfect blueberry muffin. One that takes everything I keep regularly stocked and that doesn't involve tons of fat or a butter/cinnamon/sugar topping.  It's been a disappointment.

Until now!  I found it and I must share because I'm so so happy. I plan on making many many batches and maybe there will be enough to freeze.

Whole-Grain Blueberry Muffins
(found in the September 2011 issue of Real Simple)

1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/4 cup pecans (I used walnuts since I had them on hand)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon grated orange zest (I didn't add this cause I didn't have oranges in the house)
1/4 cup orange juice
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups fresh blueberries or 1 8-oz bag frozen blueberries (I just threw a lot in, no measuring!)

Heat oven to 375 F. Line or grease muffin tin.
In food processor process flour, oats, flaxseed meal, nuts, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until finely ground.
In a large bowl whisk together yogurt, sugar, butter, orange zest and juice, egg and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated (do not overmix). Fold in the blueberries.
Divide the batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes.

Go forth and bake!  They're so good!






No comments:

Post a Comment