Saturday, August 7, 2010

Best Laid Plans

I like to bake. Cooking isn't really my thing but baking I love. I'm pretty good at it. I've gotten rave reviews for my Lemon Cake and my Fresh Raspberry Bars. I even make most of the bread we eat in this house!


My grand plan has been to make cupcakes for The Princess's birthday which is looming directly after the Newest One makes her own arrival. I'll make and freeze them ahead of time and then just pull them out and frost them when life is crazy but the big 3rd birthday is upon us! Brilliant!



The weather has cooled a little and the idea of having the oven on this afternoon wasn't horrifying so I decided it was time for us to do a little baking. As is my usual plan of attack I decided to use a brand new recipe, never tested, never tried; a perfect plan when you have to serve something to guests and want to provide something edible, at the very least. Honestly, that's all I should hope for when I do things like this - impress with something you KNOW will work...keep your expectations realistic! (yeah right!)

You can see where this is going...

The Princess loves to bake and she's really good at it, except for tasting things. Not that tasting while baking is unusual but she's not discerning - everything from sugar to vinegar to flour to baking soda. It makes for an interesting experience.



Things went well, although messy, until we brought the oven into the mix...



The batter was heavenly, the final product tasty.





Presentation isn't going to win me any points though!

This is what they're supposed to look like.
If I cover them with a lot of frosting maybe I can pretend...
credit: Cupcake Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment